Monday

Swan Street Cafe









I found this lovely cafe after having a chat with a bus driver on his break outside Gregg the bakers in town. He saw me taking photos and asked what I was doing. I told him Im doing a project on greasy spoon cafes and but Im not having much look finding them, and those that Iam, are sometimes arsey about me taking pictures. He told me that I wouldnt really have much chance of finding many as they're pretty much gone now, thanks to big coffee chains such as, yes, thats right ,Starbucks surprise surprise.

'No one seems to want to go to them anymore. They're pretty much died out. There doesnt seem to be room for them when everyones wanting to get cappuchinos and fancy food. Its a shame really. I've always had good memories of them when I was younger.'

He mentions a cafe he visits regulaly, called Swan Street Cafe just by the City Varities in town. He tells me that the lady there called Bev is lovely and would probably let me photograph her cafe. I went down and it looked and smelt like your typical greasy caff. Bacon sandwiches, cups of tea, plastic chairs and loads of tomato sauce. There were a few people in and they all smiled and aksed what I was doing and I explained to bev and she said I could take as long as I wanted. Here are some photos I took!

No comments: