Sunday

egg bacon chips and beans - russell davies






my friend told me about a book they had called egg bacon chips and beans by russell davis. I've not managed to get hold of the book, but I found the blog and its great. He basically goes around photographing different cafe's that he visits, ordering cups of tea, and, yes, egg bacon chips and beans. It is such a simple idea that I think works so well and his photos are great.

They kind of remind me of Parrs images, and this whole idea of documenting something through photography. I really like how he has gone into all these cafe's and taken photos of them, from the furniture, menu's, people, food, decor, lighting etc. Each photo reflects the cafe's atmosphere which is important when documenting social situations. I've always been interested in doing things like this, as it is probably obvious with how much I have piped on about Martin Parr throughout this project. Jake Tilson's work which I have also mentioned again is quite similar in terms of documenting where he goes and making a scrap book almost of his travels.

I think its far too late in the project now to change direction completly, but I want to return to taking photographs as I feel I need to push myself to build up my confidence if I want to create something that Iam proud of. I really like the tea idea still, but i've always liked the greasy spoon working mans cafe and the culture around it, as it is a common feature in many of the gritty english films that I like watching like in many of Shane Meadows films, and books i have read. The play East by steven berkoff is a great example (read it, you'll love it!)

1 comment:

Jake Tilson said...

HI
I find that the collections that become important in my work are the ones that I didn't plan on. There might come a point, maybe after a few years, when I realise I've started a collection of something, and then I consciously look out for more examples.

Jake Tilson